Beyond the Blue Horizon
"You cannot swallow all the world at one time." -Chaim Potok
Tuesday, October 04, 2011
I'm taking the plunge, folks! It's been over 7 yrs since I started this blog and I've been feeling the need for change. I've had ideas about starting a new one for awhile now, and I have. Over at Wordpress. Sorry, Blogger...
From now on, visit me here:
(I'll admit, it's a little sad to say goodbye to this one...it's been a long time! But ok, it's just a blog. See you on the other side!)
Friday, September 30, 2011
praying...when life is hard or confusing, and such
I appreciated reading
Sarah's thoughts here
about prayer this morning...
Wednesday, September 28, 2011
what i notice
On these oh-so-rainy fall days, this is what I notice and smile about...
the look in the eyes of a six-month-old learning to eat solid food.
and the relief found in the bottle when he's tired of that strange new stuff :)
a dinosaur raincoat
savored chocolate chips, melting in the hands of a 2 1/2 yr old who's potty training.
a six-year-old who
care about the puppy he (usually) hates because now she's sick.
clean sheets on a bed.
sharing secret whispers with a toddler.
the tickle monster.
pesto made with my garden basil--delightful.
excitement shared with others about trips and travel.
boots for splashing in puddles.
an eleven-year-old who thinks she's sixteen.
Food & Wine
in the late afternoons at work.
the feel of deep-down cares and concerns not lost or forgotten...but...dormant?
conversations with mom about who I am (and who I'm becoming).
vanilla chamomile tea after work.
small (and big) things my heart thanks God for; so much taken for granted.
and--last but not least--rain down the gutter when i'm falling asleep...
Friday, September 23, 2011
A Bucket List--of sorts
This isn't exhaustive, nor is it in any particular order. You might think some of them are strange. I'm ok with that :)
1. Take a photography class
2. Develop pictures in a dark room
3. Publish a piece of writing
4. Take a dance class
5. Participate in a bike race
6. Backpack a portion of the AT
8. Really grow a garden (no more container garden crap)
9. Visit Isle Royale again
10. Tour a vineyard
11. Canoe the boundary waters
12. Learn wood stripping/refinishing
13. Work/volunteer (more) with refugees
14. Visit a refugee camp
15. Involve myself in advocacy (someway/how)
16. Take another pottery class
17. Spend several days in a monastery
18. Draw/paint something to be proud of :)
19. Make what I can
20 Always: get out more
21. Go to Finland
22. Lead (co-lead) a church small group or Sunday school class
23. Travel/backpack around South America
24. Buy a fixer upper (and all the how-to's for fixing it up!)
26. Keep myself teachable
27. Volunteer with relief/disaster response
28. Have a family
29. Teach my kids to love the outdoors and to adventure
30. Travel up the coast of Maine
31. Visit Pearl Harbor
32. Give of myself for others every day
33. Never forget the needy
34. Never grow indifferent to those with "more than they need"
35. Never presume I don't need
36. Learn to live simply (but deeply)
37. Read to people who can't
38. Go on a hot air balloon ride
39. Visit Africa again
40. Never forget God is a God of
41. See Peter Mulvey and Jeffrey Foucault perform together in concert
42. Keep gratitude and humility close
43. Keep doing things that scare me
44. Learn to white water kayak
45. Live close to the earth (without that being weird, haha)
46. Read at least three new
"Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and he will give you everything you need."
Tuesday, September 20, 2011
I appreciated this short post about
love and marriage