Monday, May 31, 2010

on my way to work...

i see many things.
i am lucky to have a job that i can walk to--and through such a fun neighborhood!

you know that your day starts out right when, leaving the house, you witness a three-way squirrel fight in the big tree out front and jump when one of them screeches, falls a good ten feet out of the air, and lands on the top of that black car out front. WHAM! haaaaahahahahaa. the other two jump down, there is LOTS of screeching, and they all scurry off. I laugh. i wonder what the fight was about. and i keep walking.

i round the corner to find a line of 15-20 people waiting for the local Village Discount to open. yes, it's a great little thrift store, but 8:30am on a Monday?! weird. what made me smile most was the fact that most all of them were speaking spanish. I love moments like that when i'm reminded of Mexico and suddenly feel like i'm somehow "at home" with these dear people. i think i'm getting anxious for a visit to the Sierra Madre. but my life is in illinois right now. that seems strange to me sometimes.

i have the day off work after all. i got there and no one was home--somehow we miscommunicated about today. oh well. i went to trader joe's to get groceries for the week. have i told you that i decided awhile ago that every time i get groceries there i must try something new (since the place is full of so many wonderful things)? two weeks ago the pick was their flaxseed and hemp tortilla chips. new favorite: yum. today i got a package of frozen mango chunks for summer smoothies. I also stocked up on a wider range of fresh fruit: cantaloupe, grapefruit, bananas, apples, and strawberries. I've decided I need to get more fresh things in me when the weather is so hot and thick. it helps, trust me.

i am going to read Waltke's OT Theology for awhile before starting in on more cleaning/organizing. when lacy wakes up i might convince her that we should stop on over to the Village Discount to see what all the monday fuss is about--maybe its something I'm not in on...

i hope today has been as delightful for you as it has been for me by 10:30 in the morning. seriously, that squirrel fight was amazing. wish you could have seen it. sigh.




No comments: