Monday, August 23, 2010

found it

I had saved it on Grandma's computer when we were here for the funeral over three years ago already. Wow, it has gone fast. But actually, in some ways it really hasn't gone fast. I still miss him and it is still hard to realize that he isn't here with us. This is what I wrote for the service insert...
- - - - -

What can I say about a man who has blessed me beyond words? How can I express how much I respect him?
He is a man of great honor. He is my Papa, my teacher, and my friend. He is my "Uno." He showed me what it means to be a person of love, kindness, and integrity. He taught me what it means to treat others highly. He proved to me the strength in and value of a gentle and quiet spirit.
He gave me another "undo dowg" when I begged him for it. He let me pile my stuffed animals high up on his lap, and sat patiently as I introduced him to each one. He let me style his hair any way I wanted. He told me stories...over, and over, and over when asked. He taught me every card game worth playing. He was my partner in crime during raspberry season--filling tupperwares with fat, juicy berries and eating them all up before anyone else got a chance! We encouraged each others' addiction to Grandma's home-made chex-mix, always refilling the bowl in the kitchen and spoiling our appetites for dinner. On pasty night he would always say, "Gee, have some pasty with your ketchup, would ya!" During our visits to the U.P, he and I would exchange messages and pictures on the dry erase board in the kitchen. He sent me notes in college--reminding me to be safe and encouraging me to get, not a 4.0, but a 5.0! My life was richer because of Papa. I think I thought he was super human.
Even after all these things--all these "words"--they still don't seem like enough. These memories don't seem to go far enough. My thoughts don't seem to reach deep enough--these words just don't seem "real" enough. I miss him--a lot--and it hurts bad.
There are, however, a few things that do seem to be "enough" right now--a few things I'm sure of. God is good. He has blessed this world with my Papa. He has blessed my life with my Papa. I thank Him so much for that. My comfort is found in Christ alone, and the words of the old hymn, "Great is Thy Faithfulness, O God my Father, There is no shadow of turning with Thee...Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth, Thine own dear presence to cheer and to guide; Strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow, Blessings all mine, with ten thousand beside!"
- - - -

Luke and I leave tomorrow morning to drive back down to Chicago. It's been wonderful--for both of us--to have this little vacation; a break from our regular routines; the chance to enjoy this beautiful place up north, far away from the noise and bustle of the busy city. We've had a wonderful time with Grandma--remembering, laughing, and just being together. Pictures soon :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am glad you wrote it. You did a beautiful job as did Kristen. Yes, we have been a fortunate family.
Love, Me

the McGee family said...

I have it, too... in case you ever need it. I should have told you that. Oops.
So glad you were able to visit with Gma. I am jealous. Reminds me of last year (almost at this time!)... We took Sam to Houghton Beach. He loved it.