Monday, March 13, 2006

When Life is Hard

It's a scary thing to ask God's will to be done. I've noticed I'm doing it a lot lately. I'm learning to rely more and more on the Promises of God. It's kind of strange because I feel weak and incapable and somehow I think that's bad...? But that's the way it should be. No way can I hold onto my life and keep things together. I've been trying that for too long and it has gotten me nowhere. I can't do anything right now but fall into the arms of my Faithful Lover. It's a wonderful place to be, just painful. When God seems silent I find myself longing more and more for the Scriptures--the living, breathing words of God. Today I have done practically zero homework. I read (not for school) and read my Bible and wrote in my journal off and on all day...and worked at the store. Oh! And I walked to work...which turned out to be a huge blessing because the weather was gorgeous and it gave me the chance to pleasure in the beauty of God.

Some specific promises/verses that have been especially important to me right now:

Psalm 121:1 "I lift my eyes to the hills. From where does my help come? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth. He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber."

Psalm 37:23 "The steps of man are established by the Lord, when he delights in his way; though he fall, he shall not be cast headlong, for the Lord upholds his hand."

Psalm 51:17 "The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise."

Psalm 139 "You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways...You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me...I awake, and I am still with you."

And the verse that always is of a great comfort and challenge to me, James 1:2-4 "Count it all joy, my brothers, when you meet trials of various kinds, for you know that the testing of your faith produces steadfastness. And let steadfastness have its full effect, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing."

I encourage all of you, when you feel like God is silent, to claim His promises. Stand on them daily, memorize them, fight with them, hold onto them with all your strength. Walk boldly in Truth. Abide in Christ.


HE IS THE LOVE (dcb)
This is the place I've known
Here in the arms of one who loves
Deeper than anyone
His are the hands I've grown to trust

And this is the place I've known
Here in the arms of one who loves
Farther than I could run
His are the hands I've grown to trust
And I believe...

His are the hands that spread the sky
And His is the love that gives me life
And His are the broken, the needy ones
And He is the love

2 comments:

M. Perkins said...

Amazing post Andrea... terribly applicable to me right now, as I've found myself once again engaged in a wrestling match with God over my life...

Andrea said...

thank you, allie. :) I love you...we need to talk sometime soon.