Sunday, November 22, 2009

food for thought

weekends FLY BY. can i get an amen?? whew.
i've been chipping away at this Holocaust paper. sometimes it is hard for me to write papers i really care about. it shouldn't be that way, it seems, but it is. bummer. i find myself wrestling in the thoughts of elie wiesel--this is really difficult for me sometimes. hm.

i read Deut. 8 on Friday. wow. i've been thinking about my tendency to construct idols; to grip them; to love them; to be disappointed by them. and i've been faced with the truth of God's faithfulness, despite my own UNfaithfulness. needless to say, this has all been really necessary and really difficult to face right now. incredible to live before a God who remains true in some of life's most trying circumstances. this is the God of provision--manna, water, guidance...

i talked to hallie today for the first time in a long time. it was good for my soul.

i spent some time sifting through old blog posts. i've had this thing since 2004. crazy. it's funny reading old entries. it also gives a neat perspective on the last four+ years.

in reading some old entries, i came across a few quotes that happen to strike a cord in my heart tonight. so here they are (and with them, I will leave you...good night):

"The house of my soul is too small for you to come to it. May it be enlarged by you. It is in ruins: restore it. In your eyes it has offensive features. I admit it, I know it; but who will clean it up?" -St. Augustine.

“Then the lion said--but I don’t know if it spoke--You will have to let me undress you. I was afraid of his claws, I can tell you, but I was pretty nearly desparate now. So I just lay flat down on my back to let him do it. The first tear he made was so deep that I thought it had gone right into my heart. And when he began pulling the skin off, it hurt worse than anything I’ve ever felt. The only thing that made me able to bear it was just the pleasure of feeling the stuff peal off....Then he caught hold of me--I didn’t like that much for I was very tender underneath now that I’d no skin on--and threw me into the water. It smarted like anything but only for a moment....and after a bit the lion took me out and dressed me....in new clothes...” –The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

No comments: