Thursday, November 16, 2006

Oh, Mr. Lewis!

I had forgotten, for a moment, how much I loved The Great Divorce....how much I appreciate lewis' brilliance.

"Overcome us that, so overcome, we may be ourselves:we desire the beginning of your reign as we desire dawn and dew, wetness at the birth of light."

"But what we called love down there was mostly the craving to be loved. In the main I loved you for my own sake: because I needed you."

"Lust is a poor, weak, whimpering, whispering thing compared with that richness and energy of desire which will arise when lust has been killed."

"Every one of us lives only to journey further and further into the mountains."

"'No,' said the other. 'I can promise you none of these things. No sphere of usefulness: you are not needed there at all. No scope for your talents: only forgiveness for having perverted them. No atmosphere of inquiry, for I will bring you to the land not of questions but of answers, and you shall see the face of God.'"

No comments: