Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Keeping with the Music of Derek Webb...

"After ten years in a Christian band, backstage in the music industry and in the hallways of Church buildings across America, my attention as a songwriter has turned to a fresh affection for the Church. it seems we know all too little of who She is, how She should dress, or what She was made for. I have found that Scripture is provocative when it comes to these issues and so these songs are not for the faint of heart. Truth is, God would rather die than be without Her, and she is both wretched and radiant. I'm convinced that there is only one righteousness suitable for Jesus' Bride, and He is jealous for her love. For the believer, truth is freedom. Even truth that is hard to hear. May these songs stir all of us to see, as if for the first time, that we have (still) a great need for a Savior, and a great Savior for our need." (From his album "She Must and Shall Go Free")

I've been thinking about the Church...my role in the Church, my duty to the Church, my pleasure in the Church--what it means to be Christ's bride. I've been thinking about the condition of the Church...how I can be used, what I can do, where I can go, how I can help administer change. I've been thinking about the Church's job...as a body and unit, in America, in the World, how it ought to preach the Gospel more to itself...how much I am in need of hearing the Gospel every minute, every day. He is jealous for my love...how am I living? Is He my treasure? Is He my pleasure?

This song is really beautiful. It is blatant and convicting...


THE CHURCH (by Derek Webb)
i have come with one purpose
to capture for myself a bride
by my life she is lovely
by my death she’s justified

i have always been her husband
though many lovers she has known
so with water i will wash her
and by my word alone

so when you hear the sound of the water
you will know you’re not alone

(chorus)
‘cause i haven’t come for only you
but for my people to pursue
you cannot care for me with no regard for her
if you love me you will love the church

i have long pursued her
as a harlot and a whore
but she will feast upon me
she will drink and thirst no more

so when you taste my flesh and my blood
you will know you’re not alone

(chorus)
there is none that can replace her
though there are many who will try
and though some may be her bridesmaids
they can never be my bride

No comments: