Friday, June 23, 2006

and this is love

The four quotes below come from Mother Teresa. These are some simple thoughts but they carry much weight. They convict and challenge. Also, following the quotes is a passage about love from the Bible (I know it is a "common" verse but read it again...REALLY read it. And think on it). I don't want us to get so used to using the word 'love' that we forget its meaning. I don't want it to grow stale on our lips and fall old and used from our mouths. I want it to remain new and alive in our hearts, minds, and actions--daily convicting and challenging our faith.

"Do not think that love, in order to be genuine, has to be extraordinary. What we need is to love without getting tired."

"Do not wait for leaders; do it alone, person to person."

"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other."

"It is not the magnitude of our actions but the amount of love that is put into them that matters."

What is love? "Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is nor arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends...So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love." 1 Corinthians 13:4-8, 13

"If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal." v. 1

"If I give away all I have, and if I deliver up my body to be burned, but have not love, I gain nothing." v. 3

1 Corinthians chapter 14 begins with the exhortation, "Pursue Love..."

A true understanding of these things will turn my life upside down. I am so weak. I look to the Lord and remember His words, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness" (2 Cor. 12:9a).

No comments: