Saturday, August 04, 2007

Just for Fun

Some things you learn when you live in Africa...

-The phrase "This is Africa" takes on a whole new meaning
-Is the smoke supposed to go up the chimney? Or is that just some strange idea from my past???!!
-Determining whether clothes are dirty or not is completely relative :)
-Real mail is the best gift...and lives you smiling for hours
-It's really quite normal for the lights to flicker on and off throughout the day...and its no big deal to run out of water for a few hours--that's what empty rice buckets are for! Store it!!
-Rice is so good (to others this might not be true but I am still a believer :))

I am currently reading:
Red Moon Rising by Pete Greig
The Cost of Discipleship (Bonhoeffer...sp?)
Both of these books are INCREDIBLE!!
and for school: Friendship with God by Ross Tooley...its ok. really easy reading, not spectacularly well written.

Languages I am wanting to learn:
Swahili
Arabic
(and Gladness is teaching me some Swahili!)

My Swahili Song :) I love it!!

Mambo Sawa Sawa (x2)
(things are really better)
Yesu Akiwa Enzini
(when the Lord is on the throne)
Mambo Sawa Sawa (x3)

Last weekend we went to a game park in South Africa...another stamp in the passport!! It was incredible. I was the only one (beside Hlengiwe) who saw the leopard! We saw elephants, zebras, giraffes, a RHINO (Just for you, Josh!!))...and many other things (the head of a lion through the tall grass). I got the most amazing picture of an African sunset I've gotten yet. Absolutely breathtaking. THe African sun is SO big and SO red. It is beautiful.

Alright. Until next time! Love to you all :)

4 comments:

Lacy Lillian said...

I wish I was there with you...

Nathan Winslow said...

Andrea,

I am glad to get your updates and read about you in Africa. I went there two years ago and have been thinking much about returning. They say that once you get the red dirt of Africa between your toes, you can never get it out.

God bless. Nathan

Anonymous said...

i love you, miss andrea!!
man, i think about you ALL the time! okay, so i'm pretty pumped about your ministry there, and excited to see what God is doing through you!!
i love you :)
-e

hannah said...

i know i'm not in Africa but i couldn't agree with you more on 1)mail being the best gift when you're away 2)dirty clothes are relative! and 3) rice is AMAZING

i miss and love you friend!