Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Figuring out my major...

I will have to pick 6 of the following...tough choice :)

Special Topics in Writing
Feature Writing
Newswriting
Editing of Print Media Material
Print Media Design and Production
Writing for Electronic Media
Introduction to Photography/
Photojournalism
Web Page Design and Production
Print Practicum: Newspaper
Print Practicum: Yearbook
Publicity and Public Relations
Fiction Writing I
Fiction Writing II
Poetry Writing
Advanced Writing Seminar
Advanced Media Production Seminar
Biblical Perspectives of Media and Culture
Media Laws and Ethics
Directed Study in Communications
Curriculum Development

My schedule for next semester is coming together...it will be my last semester of "intro" classes which is nice. I will probably stay at Moody for a few weeks this summer to take Christianity and Western Thought I & II. Oh! And I found out that the school IS going to give me credit for both College and Research writing from my Hillsdale credits....which means, after Intro to Mass Communication this spring, I will be able to jump into all my "true major" classes as well as have time for other Bible electives (uppermost in my thoughts are 1. Psalms 2. Genesis 3. Hebrews 4. Minor Prophets 5.Pauline Epistles). God's giving me such a peace and excitement about school as He helps me figure out all these sometimes "frustrating" details. I'm trying to get into a PCM called World Relief Tutoring. Apparently a lot of the students are refugees from Africa and other countries. It sounds amazing. Next fall I am hoping to get into one of two PCM ministries that work with children with HIV/AIDS (its an extensive application process). Man can make many plans but the Lord determines His steps :) I lay my life at the feet of the Almighty, trusting that He has my best in mind and eager to find out what that is!

Spring '08 Classes:
Introduction to Disciplemaking (Not all that excited EXCEPT that I have a great professor...works in the urban ministry dpt!)
Bible Introduction (Should be super easy and definitely review...)
Introduction to Music (With the best professor in the dept! An asian guy who is a phenomenal pianist!!)
Christian Missions (Was "supposed" to get credit for this by taking my DTS. bleh. Will def. be review and easy but good prof.)
Introduction to Mass Communication (So excited to get this out of the way so I can start taking all my writing classes!!)
Cultural Anthropology (probably most excited about this class for its content. Dad's thrilled that I;m taking it, too. It was this or contemporary Islam but I am going to wait on that one until I can find the best professor for it! :))

Altogether 17 credits but it shouldn't be that hard. Lot's will be review and probably just more busy-work. I might try to get a job, too, depending on where PCM falls. I really want to work at Trader Joe's and it IS in walking distance so that would be easy...and cheap. We'll see.

Please keep me in your prayers as I step back into school. I have so many conflicting thoughts and emotions sometimes. I want to walk close to God's heart--seeking His wisdom and will each step. I so desire to live with an ongoing, moment-by-moment awareness of His work and presence in my life. Not only in me, but around me...that my life might be a constant boasting in the cross and Christ crucified...and a constant delighting in His person and character!!

4 comments:

hannah said...

for your spring 08 classes your Cultural Anthropology sounds the most exciting to me too. and working at Trader Joes!?! I've been thinking about that too! It was that or Wild Oats, I asked someone what they thought of the job and they didn't seem too fond of it whereas this friend i have at Trader Joe's and she likes it, sooo good choice!

Andrea said...

woohoo. we could both work at Trader Joe's! sweet :) Hopefully I can swing it all.

hannah said...

haha just read over my comment and i totally scrambled my words. meant to say "i asked someone who works at wild oats what they thought of their job and they didn't seem too fond of it, whereas a friend i have at trader joe's seems to like it there"

M. Perkins said...

Haha, our college lives our so different.

My schedule:

-Perspectives on Paul w/ Westblade (have you heard of NT Wright? It's basically a course on his theology)
-Contemporary American Liberalism w/ some visiting prof
-France since 1815 w/ Conner
-17th/18th cent Europe
-Shakespeare w/ Smith
-William Blake w/ Sundahl

I'm fairly excited. I feel like it could be better.