Sunday, January 06, 2008

Lesson Learned

If the word "Grande" is in the title, don't order it...it's HUGE!

We went to On the Border tonight as a fam...to celebrate togetherness as well dad's 55th bday. It was fun. However, I ordered the "grande taco salad" thinking nothing of it (I don't know why...). It was ridiculous. Easily could have fed 4 people.

This wasn't the first time I've noticed how big portions are. Granted, I DID order something with "grande" in the title (though there was no other option for this particular salad). Still...have you noticed how portion sizes are getting bigger? They really are too huge. There is so much food waste. Either people eat it all (which probably isn't healthy anyway) or (and this is probably more likely) they don't eat it all and don't take it home...so it gets trashed. a huge waste. It makes me feel weird.

Think about college cafeterias. SO MUCH food waste. eh. I don't like it. I want to think creatively about ways to avoid and/or cut down on it. For starters, it makes a whole lot of sense to me to SPLIT meals when eating out. I remember Jay and Kristen saying that they almost always split when they went out--and were filled. It saves on cost AND on food waste.

So...a challenge to us all, I guess! :) Let's try not to waste so much food. Maybe we can split more often...? At least take leftovers home and eat them again! Also...if you are going to On the Border, the grande taco salad is SO good, you just might want to split it with someone. Or several someones :)

3 comments:

hannah said...

grande indeed is pretty big. at Applebees the grande margaritas are HUGE - i have to use both hands to drink it, i could use one but it's kind of hard :]

and remind me next time i see/talk to you to tell you my second comment, rather not post it here;]

Andrea said...

haha. will do. see you tonight! can't wait.

Anonymous said...

Agreed. I always have leftovers and get at least two or three more meals out one.
~Hallie