Tuesday, March 10, 2009

good to be here

it's good to be here. as always, there is refreshment and challenge when I step away from moody. it's just natural, i think, to gain renewed perspective once "away" from all the things that demand so much emotional, spiritual, and physical attention.

i'm glad for the rest. i am challenged to think about proper rest. its easy to err on the extremes--lazy or overworked. neither of the two represent a productive, healthy life. neither of them is particularly fulfilling or satisfying. so i'm challenged to think about what it means to be a steward of my time and learn how to rest well. i ask the Lord to teach me something of sabbath rest...so that my days develop a depth and richness that reflect the satisfaction and fulfillment found in his presence.

here's how i'm resting :)

(obviously, spending time with family and friends, which was the previous post)

1. catching up on odds and ends (i think i finally worked out my schedule for the fall...and the following spring, which will bring me up to graduation!).

2. cooking! I've been waiting to get home to try a few new recipes, experiment, etc. it's really relaxing to cook. the other day i made really good whole wheat maple cranberry bread. super healthy; super delicious. yum!



3. soaking up the sun. the weather has been beautiful and I am utilizing our patio (in all its glory: sun, flowers, birds).




4. reading. I'm working through a couple right now: Rachel's Cry: Prayer of Lament and Rebirth of Hope (excellent book); A Biblical History of Israel (for my OT Historical Literature class--really interesting. i learn lots from it); Flannery O'Connor: The Complete Stories (reading some short stories that i've had my eye on for awhile now...); and my Bible (finishing the samuels and kings for class and working through 1 corinthians). it's a good balance of genres. i do love to read :)



so. that's what i'm up to right now. i need to go and get some things cleaned up around the house and dinner cooked before mom gets home.

No comments: