Tuesday, July 26, 2005

To Tell Or Not To Tell

Does anyone ever wonder why when, in the Gospels, Jesus heals someone He sometimes says, "Go, and tell everyone what you have seen," and other times He says, "Tell no one what has happened here"? Because I do...It seems that the general pattern is to ask people not to make Him known...why?

"And Jesus charged them to tell no one. But the more he charged them, the more zealously they proclaimed it." Mark 7:36

I'm reading through Mark right now and it really struck me...why charge a man not to tell the most amazing thing that ever happened to him? If I witnessed a miraculous act of God, I'm pretty darn sure I wouldn't be able to keep it quiet. Did Jesus really mean for them to keep quiet?...I'm not sure He did.

Anyhow, It's just something I've been thinking about. Mark is such a wonderful account...I love it.

Let me know your thoughts if you have any...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

here are my thoughts andrea...
i'm not sure if Jesus really meant for them to tell or not to, but it doesn't make sense to me that He would waste His breath meaning the opposite of His intentions.
i think just as there are times for bursting with joy and shouting to the world what Jesus has so graciously done, there are times to sit, meditate, and be in awe.

Andrea said...

I agree with you stacey...(more in the email).

Thank you!

M. Perkins said...

Yeah... I don't know. It doesn't seem consistent with Christ to say the opposite of what He means, but I also am not sure He was terribly upset with the people who told. I don't know.