Thursday, July 21, 2005

Too Much Digging

Some thoughts and quotes inspired by Annie's recent blog...

"What good are Greek, commentaries, insight, gift, and all the rest, if there is no heart for Christ?" -Jim Elliot

"Feel I failed the Lord in too much digging for sermon thoughts, and not enough time letting the Scripture speak to me." -Jim Elliot

" I find I must drive myself to study, following the 'ought' of conscience to gain anything at all from the Scripture, lacking any desire at times. it is important to learn respect and obedience to the 'inner must' if godliness is to be a state of soul with me. I may no longer depend on pleasant impulses to bring me before the Lord. I must rather respond to principles I know to be right, whether I feel them to be enjoyable or not." -Jim Elliot

Struggling with feelings of emptiness and dryness, I am beginning to learn respect for the "inner must" and am not expecting shocking and bold revelations from Him, but am training my ears to listen to the still small voice. It's often frustrating but I have found that studying my Bible in such a way leads to a new richness found each day. I'm trying to develop a heart for Christ when, for so long, I have depended on other things...

"Ordinary life for me has been spoiled forever by the prospect of what real living is..."

1 comment:

Andrea said...

Haha...well, it is a super good book. I'm sure you'd love it. It's Shadow of the Almighty (by elisabeth elliot)...one of my all-time favorites :)