Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Hebrews

Every time I sit down to read this book, I am amazed. I feel like I am always reading it with new eyes.

I was thinking last night about how Christ's coming put an end to suffering. We throw that truth around but i don't think we really understand it. I, for one, struggle to. I think and talk a lot about the crisis of evil in the world and about the need for Justice.

Last night I read hebrews one and then was listening to "Sing to Jesus" by Fernando Ortega (wonderful song). And suddenly i realized...Christ's death put an end to suffering, yes, but it wasn't an "earthly" end. I think, though we might not admit, we live as if we believe His death to mean the end to our sufferings here. So we get frustrated, upset, even angry, when things are tough and can't be explained.

BUT (and i was so excited when I thought about this last night)...He put an end on it. He marked the finish...the sufferings of this world only have a short time to inflict pain and cause sorrow. Eternity with him will be the new beginning, the Shalom, that our souls long for. Suffering will expire for those who believe in the Lord. This is beautiful HOPE.

So when I read about Chad, Somalia, Tibet, Palestine, Sudan, Iraq, Congo, Burma, Nepal... I can find hope in the crucifixion and resurrection of Christ--the Savior. This world will not last. It will soon pass away... where is your hope for after?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmmm...beautiful hope. i like it.