Saturday, January 13, 2007

A first for everything

So....last night I got picked up by public safety. It's quite a ridiculous story and I feel sorta embarrassed that we called Public Safety, but we didn't know what to do. They always say better safe than sorry. The reason I felt stupid was because we (Me, Sarah, Erin, Ashley, Moriah, and one other I don't remember her name) shouldn't have probably been out so late at night without boys anyway. We just thought that we'd be fine with 6 of us. Anyhow, at around 10 last night we walked a couple blocks up to a Starbucks that didn't close till eleven. We were going to play Euchre and have coffee. Well, once we were there one of the girls said something about how her RA said not to walk down that way at night. Great, we thought. So we were in starbucks teaching the girls to play Euchre (only sarah and I know how to play), when this guy walks past the window, sees us, turns around and comes in. He came over and asked what we were doing...I was fine with it at first but he came up behind sarah REALLY close. He was touching her back and his head was really close to her. He wasn't all the way there. I thought he was drunk but i didn't smell anything. I don't know. He kept asking us where we were from. We kept saying "from all over" which made him really mad. He started talking really loud "Where ya'll from!! Why wontcha tell me! Anyone from Texas?" (we all tried not to look at Moriah. haha. poor girl!). He wouldn't leave us alone. He wanted to play...we wouldn't let him. Then he told us we must be from somewhere where the women are really rude (or something of the sort). He went over to the counter to complain to the employees about us. We thought that was funny. Then, he walked over, got REALLY close to Sarah again and it was all very uncomfortable. Then he threw a banana in the middle of our table, said "I never did like them yankee women!" and walked out. The problem was, when he left, we couldn't tell if he had really left or if he was standing around the corner. It just felt funny. He would've definitely followed us back to school. Talk about feeling really girly, though. That's a hard situation. We probably made a stupid decision by going in the first place but then we didn't know if we should call Public Safety to pick us up (which they offer to anyone who needs it) or just suck it up and walk home. hmmmm. I don't know. I kept thinking...how do you show Christ to someone in this situation and not be super rude? What's the right way to treat him? I felt pretty rude, but he wouldn't leave us alone. This kind of stuff probably happens ALL the time. It's the reality of living in the city. Maybe its something you get used to and just have to suck it up? Maybe you don't and you need to always have someone come? oh man. I just feel myself thinking "is this stupid?--to have someone come pick us up, meet us, whatever...are we being too girly girl?"
Anyway, Public Safety came and the guy was super nice. He told us we did the right thing in calling them and also that we were right to go out in a group. While we were in starbucks we realized we don't have ANYONE'S phone number, especially boys. So we didn't know who to call. Even if we HAD had some of the guys numbers, I just feel like such a ridiculous girl calling. aaah.
After we got back, a bunch of us girls just hung out in our room. Melissa plays the guitar (i really want to learn!!) so we sang worship songs and bonded. It was really fun. Then we just talked and took lots of pictures :) It's nice to be getting to knows more girls better. Oh. Before we went out to Starbucks, I learned the bus system with Erin. That was exciting. I think I could write a book of short stories based on that one experience. haha. Then I went with Stacey and Whitney and a bunch of their brothers to a thrift store. It was SO much fun. The store was amazing. Every ten minutes or so one of the employees would come over the loud speaker and say "attention shoppers, please keep your purses, wallets and al valuables near you at all times. This store is not responsible for theft. In the case of an emergency, your shopping cart may be used for self defense." It sounded like he was saying "this store is not responsible for death". haha. oh man. It was tons of fun. We took a crazy route of buses and subways to get there so I could never find my way back. It was fun to get to know some more people.

Today is a slow day. I have a lot of reading. Kyle is getting into town tonight. We're going to hang out sometime. I'm going to a Korean Church tomorrow with my accountability partner, Young. Monday we have no classes because of Martin Luther King day. I feel sort of funny about taking the holiday to honor him when so few really know anything about him, including myself. But I want to finish Why We Can't Wait.

It's 29 degrees! It should snow tomorrow. That's exciting,

People here are crazy about getting married. It's sort of weird. I want to yell "let it happen in its own time...slow down! just let God handle it." More on this topic on the phone if you want to hear. I have a few stories :)

3 comments:

M. Perkins said...

You made the right decision. Whenever you are unsure, go with the safe option. "Well, she's dead now, but at least she wasn't girly." :)

And when you know guys numbers, call them. It's a compliment more than anything.

"how do you show Christ to someone in this situation and not be super rude?

I don't think it's rude to rebuff an angry drunk guy, and I don't think it's unloving at all.

"your shopping cart may be used for self defense."

Hahahaha. Ridiculous mind image of you fending off some murderer with a shopping cart, and all the store employees are standing around saying, "Not liable."

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what you mean about the marrige thing. At the end of last semester all Eric and Jared could talk about was their excitement and anticipation for that charming man to sweep them off their feet so they could settle down. I keep trying to tell then not to let Mark move on, but alas...he might be the one that got away. Either way...told you that you would get yourself killed. Glad you didnt this time. But seriously, I am glad you are alright and I agree with Mark that you made the right call.

Andrea said...

haha. thanks guys. I'm glad you back me up on my decision. :)
And Josh, I sure hope mark doesn't make a move on them. Sicko! :) yeck.