Wednesday, January 03, 2007

First Impressions

Chicago: Big. Beautiful. Lots of Opportunity. Thrilling. Full of intriguing people. Rather scary. I feel swallowed up.

The EL: Terrifying. Overwhelming. Stressful. Ok...not THAT bad, I just felt lost and unsure (both yucky feelings in such a big city). I would say to myself "you're thinking of doing this ALONE!?"

Moody: Exciting. Inviting. Easy to navigate through because it occupies such a small space--mostly going UP. It IS right in the city. I want to go in more of the buildings...

The Sights: We went to the art institute--incredible. I will go many more times...just to spend hours wondering around. My favorites: Seurat, Picasso, Monet, Thomas Cole (cuz he's a relative. yeah!), The Silk Road Exibit (there only for a short time...featuring INCREDIBLE artifacts, etc. from the Asian provinces. Beautiful things from China dating back to 200 BC or earlier!!!!). We went to Gino's East for pizza. It was really good. Really rich. I didn't have much of an appetite, though. I think its nerves. Why am I so darn nervous? It's driving me nuts. Mom has been crying quite a bit--which makes it harder for me not to. She says I'm brave. I say I'm probably just too good at internalizing things.

Currently listening to: Rock of Ages (sandra mccracken) and Lord of Eternity (fernando ortega)

I find myself asking God to be a strong fortress around me...leading me and guiding me to new and exciting things, with his face ever before me. I feel very weak....so I will know the strength of Him who is strong (but oh how its a frightening place to be! So much changing). Lord, help me feel your strength in my weakness. Make me lean into you during these days and find great amounts of peace and rest. I feel very wrestles and uneasy. Lord, calm my heart!

Tomorrow at 8am dorms open. Orientation officially starts at 2:30. My parents leave at 2:00 to drive North to my grandparents (my grandpa's kidney is failing, now down to 20%) for a few days. It will be hard to say goodbye. It's hard that he isn't doing well. I wish i could go with them.

There are about 200 incoming students this semester. That's a lot! I had no idea it would be that many. Crazy.

I should go to bed. Tomorrow is a big day...and full. Thank you for your continued prayer, you guys have been great. I love you and miss you. I will keep you posted.

Oh. Once again, I don't have many cell phone minutes. I probably won't pick up unless its after nine or during weekends. Bummer, I know, but that's the way it is. Leave messages! I love to hear your voices. I will get you my school email as soon as I get it...and my mailing address.

I think that's everything. We're staying across from the Rock 'N Roll McDonalds. Crazy. It's an insane one. Someday I'll get a picture....
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Blessed is the man
Who walks in Your favor
Who loves all Your words
And hides them like treasure
In the darkest place
Of his desperate heart,
They are a light
A strong, sure light.

Sometimes I call out Your name
But I cannot find You.
I look for Your face,
But You are not there.
By my sorrows, Lord,
Lift me to You,
Lift me to Your side.

Lord of Eternity,
Father of mercy,
Look on my fainting soul.
Keeper of all the stars,
Friend of the poorest heart
Touch me and make me whole.:

If You are my defender,
Who is against me?
No one can trouble or harm me
If You are my strength .
All I ask, all I desire
Is to live in Your house all my days.

2 comments:

M. Perkins said...

!!!
Crazy!

I will *definitely* be praying for you tomorrow with the whole orientation process. I can't believe 200! That's like 10% of the school. Wow. So many people to meet.

YOU LIVE IN CHICAGO.

That's pretty cool, if I do say so myself. Part of me (I can't really say half) wants you to develop a thick Chicaga accent. 'twould be funny.

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you! I really want us to spend all day in an art museum when I visit sometime. I'M SO EXCITED TO SEE YOU AGAIN and see everything you're experiencing.

I'm praying for you. I love you and miss you as always. Send me your address!