Monday, January 15, 2007

In Your Name

I'm sitting here at my desk, snow flurries going crazy right outside my window. I was doing homework but I got to thinking about this simple phrase "in Your name"...often followed by "amen" or "I pray" or maybe not. It's really powerful. We use it a lot. That's not a bad thing, necessarily, but i was thinking about how meaningless it becomes if we're not careful. We throw it around sort of flippantly--as if just saying the words validate our thoughts, prayers, requests, whatever. Just think about what it means to say that...Whose name it is.

"He makes clouds rise from the ends of the earth;
He sends lightening with the rain
and brings out the wind from its storehouses" Psalm 135:7

"...may the Lord rejoice in His works
who looks on the earth and it trembles,
who touches the mountains and they smoke!" Psalm 104:31-32

"Have you commanded the morning since your days began,
and caused the dawn to know its place,
that it might take hold of the skirts of the earth,
and the wicked be shaken out of it?" Job 38:12-13

"The voice of the Lord makes the oaks to shake,
and strips the forest bare, and in his temple all cry, 'Glory!'" Psalm 29:9

1 comment:

Sheri said...

You are amazing Andrea Childs!!! I am glad that you are enjoying your time at Moody...I continue to pray for you. Love ya girl!