Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Summertime

...which means this: you need to read :) I know you're "busy" (some more than others), but I recommend choosing at least three books to read. Set a few afternoons aside (or a few mornings...or maybe even evenings :)). Here's a list of books I suggest:

A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken (SO good)
Shadow of the Almighty by Elisabeth Elliot (one of my top 5)
Confessions by Augustine
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky
A Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
Cry,The Beloved Country by Alan Paton
The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis
The Four Quartets by T.S. Eliot
Peace Like a River by Leif Enger
The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne (please read!!)
The New Friars by Scott Bessenecker (please, please, read!!)
The Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis.
The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare.
The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin.
A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle.
The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame.
(read through the psalms this summer!)

Here's what I have on my list. So obviously I recommend them but not because I've read them--because I am planning to :)
A long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah
The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie
The Barbarian Way by Erwin McManus
A Generous Orthodoxy by Brian McClaren

yay for summer reading! I'm pretty excited :)

I fly home tonight. that's crazy. I'll see my family!!! woohoo. I can't wait.

ok. I'm going to go do some reading and some writing.

2 comments:

Lacy Lillian said...

I miss you and your books. I hope you are having fun at home! Give your mom and dad big hugs for me!

Anonymous said...

I love In the Shadow of the Almighty and the Barbarian Way!!!Thanks for the reccommendations.