Wednesday, August 25, 2010

skinny love and the afternoon breeze

I am happy to hear this song. I am also happy to feel this breeze coming in our living room window...

Somehow I think that the absence of the stifling humidity has aided the unstifling of my own thoughts. Today has been a day of remarkable clarity, peace, and contentment. Perhaps there are other factors, too, like a few hours of organization (a clean desk; clean bedroom), a much-needed phone conversation with Hallie, and weather that allowed for jeans (yes, you heard me right. i think fall might be on its way and this makes me very, very excited). Seasons are a remarkable thing. We need them, I think. I didn't really grow up with them. Where I come from there aren't exactly leaves on the trees--you'd have to drive up the mountain to see the change of color. I've always loved fall. That first year at Hillsdale brought me such genuine delight as I discovered what fall was all about--colors, leaf collecting, and...we mustn't forget... my favorite: crunching. Chicago fall isn't quite as spectacular because, well, there are more buildings than trees. But, I have an open invitation at the Schnake's in WI where, I hear, they get a fabulous fall :) So I look forward to a few fall visits--the drive through the country, sweaters, cups of warm drink, good conversations, etc.
I also enjoy the change of seasons because it demands some rethinking and reorganizing: out with the summer shorts and tanks, in with jeans and sweaters/sweatshirts; out with summer crafting projects and in with the fall ones (more knitting!!); away with iced drinks, bring in those hot ones (TEA)...pots of soup and no worry about heating up the house with an oven baking homemade bread. Aaaah. Bring it on.

I'm starting to feel a little better about this weird "in between" year of my life. I'm beginning to settle into it a little more instead of staring, frightened, into it's uncertainty. God is providing a certain assurance of His presence, as I have reminded Him time and again that I need Him, I recognize His otherness (and actually need Him in all of His otherness right now), and am hopeful for how He will provide for, lead, and invest in me. Sometimes I have a hard time believing His love for me could be so dedicated and committed to my "becoming." He's been gracious to remind me in small ways that He is indeed dedicated and committed to our becoming. So I hope you also feel encouraged by His commitment to who you are (and are becoming), what you are doing, and where you are going in life. Life is such a journey. So is faith. Be patient with yourself. Live the moments of your days--take hold of life with vigor and value. Don't let it slip by unlived or unnoticed. Face the choices of life with thoughtfulness and care; surround yourself with people who will help you journey.

- - - - - -
Batter my heart, three-personed God; for you
As yet but knock, breathe, shine, and seek to mend;
That I may rise and stand, o’erthrow me, and bend
Your force to break, blow, burn, and make me new.
I, like a usurpt town, to another due,
Labor to admit you, but oh, to no end;
Reason, your Viceroy in me, should defend,
But is captived, and proves weak or untrue.
Yet dearly I love you, and would be loved fain,
But am betrothed unto your enemy.
Divorce me, untie or break that knot again;
Take me to you, imprison me, for I
Except you enthrall me never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me.
-John Donne
- - - - - -
Did I tell you I signed up for my pottery class? I did! I start in a few weeks. Ah, I am so excited to finally be doing it.

No comments: