Thursday, January 28, 2010

grateful for cozy

bon iver, a cup of tea, the new quilt from my mom, a square of thin mint chocolate just pulled from the freezer, and readings on the Sabbath...In particular, a paper considering the significance of Jesus' healing (etc.) on the Sabbath.

I am deep in thought, surrounded by bible, a few biblical/theological dictionaries, waltke's OT biblical theology, and Brueggemann's Reverberations. I enjoy nights like this. I enjoy them quite a lot. The only thing that might make it better is if my legs would quit falling asleep in this crossed position. uuugh. or maybe if i didn't have two other assignments to work on (i am already feeling sleep begin to settle in).

so, my head has been spinning this week. certain subjects I am studying are beginning to prove their depth and applicability--a combination at once welcome but necessarily "difficult," too. such is the life of a student, right? :)

i think it's about that time. you know, when I share my excitement over the papers i get to write during the semester. yep, it's that time. i only really know a few of them but already they intrigue, interest, encourage, and challenge me, so...

for my directed study of the biblical theology of sin i hope to explore The Affects of Sin on Humanity 'In the Image and Likeness of God' (or something to that effect). For my senior seminar biblical theology paper i hope to explore the canon in a consideration of The Violence of God. Eventually I have a major research project on Christ's Healing Ministry...but more to come later.

And right now I really should be finishing this paper so I can get to bed at a decent hour.
I'll leave you with a simple quote I came across that I keep thinking about:

“There was…a divine necessity for healing on the Sabbath, insofar as the Sabbath was divinely ordained to be for Israel a foretaste of the kingdom of God. By healing those bound by the kingdom of Satan, Jesus had enabled the kingdom of God to break in upon human life (Lk 11:20; Mk 3:27). Thus, since the Sabbath was a foretaste of the kingdom, there was no better day for him to perform acts of mercy. Since the kingdom had arrived, the Son of man…was Lord of the Sabbath (Mk 2:28).” L.D. Hurst, “Ethics of Jesus,” in Dictionary of Jesus and the Gospels, ed. Joel B. Green and Scot McKnight (Downers Grove: Intervarsity, 1992): 218 [210-222].

No comments: