Saturday, November 19, 2005

Just Some Thoughts...

I'd like to share two of my favorite poems, both by Gerard Manley Hopkins. I hadn't known much at all about him until I took creative writing junior year. My teacher, Mrs. Monroe, told me that I write poems like him. I didn't really know what that meant, or what a compliment it was, until I had researched a little bit of his writing. I love him!...but I'm not sure I write like him...I'd like to. hmmmm perhaps if i took up writing poetry again. It's a thought. I would like to...

I love his imagery...I think its absolutely astounding. As I experience the changing of the seasons for the first time (basically), I am constantly aware of the intensity of creation and its extravagant beauty. It has made me think of these two poems quite a lot. So I have decided to share. Enjoy!


GOD'S GRANDEUR
"The world is charged with the grandeur of God.
It will flame out, like shining from shook foil;
It gathers to a greatness, like the ooze of oil
Crushed. Why do men then now not reck his rod?
Generations have trod, have trod, have trod;
And all is seare with trade; bleared, smeared with toil;
And wears man's smudge and share's man's smell: the soil
Is bare now, nor can foot feel, being shod.

And for all this, nature is never spent;
There lives the dearest freshness deep down things;
And though the last lights off the black West went
Oh,morning, at the brown brink eastward, springs--
Because the Holy Ghost over the bent
World broods with warm breast and with ah! bright wings."
- - - - - - -
PIED BEAUTY
"Glory be to God for dappled things--
For skies of couple-colour as a brinded cow;
For rose-moles in all stipple upon trout that swim;
Fresh-firecoal chestnut-falls; finches' wings;
Landscape plotted and pieced-fold, fallow, and plough;
And all trades, their gear and tackle and trim.

All things counter, original, spare, strange;
Whatever is fickle, freckled (who knows how?)
With swift, slow; sweet, sour; adazzle, dim;
He fathers-forth whose beauty is past change:
Praise him."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I wish Hillsdale offered creative writing classes...and poetry classes.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
I am getting a new job. Hillsdale Natural Grocery. I'm very excited :) Will probably start training the 2nd week in december. I'm excited for a job off campus and for the opportunity to be around people not related to Hillsdale. I'm nervous, though. For some reason I really hate this new job thing...I'm bad at it. Please pray for calm nerves...I want to let my excitement take over. There are so many opportunities in store! So many ways God can use me and change me.

After reading a book in the Aenead I think its time for bed. Yay for the day when I will be able to read virgil in latin!! I did a pretty good job of getting things done in advance today...so I won't have as much to do over thanksgiving. I'm trying to get it down to just a paper. And not even a very big one at that...a history paper that only really requires a tad bit of reading. woo! Luke emailed me today and said he was looking forward to spending time with his hermana. It made me happy. And I talked with Kristen tonight about the amazing 12 hr road trip....Oh sister!

Oh! And my dad rode in the tour today. His time was BETTER than last year...he's always improving! He's awesome. I'm his biggest fan.

Well...I'm out. Tomorrow is the Lord's Day and I'm so excited! Fellowship, worship, rest, and the Word...and good food in saga.

2 comments:

Sheri said...

Yay, for life! Yay, for God's creaton and work in our lives! I am excited for you...and the voyage of your life...how exciting!! Yay....
P.S. I'm excited for Christmas, yay!!!!

Anonymous said...

Amen to the creative writing/poetry class suggestion. I wonder why too. I love those poems.